HEALTH & SAFETY
Install smoke alarms inside and outside each sleeping
area, right outside the kitchen, and on every level of
Plug only one
plug in each electrical outlet.
cords only on top of floors and carpets, not under them.
If an adult
smokes, urge smoking outdoors only. If someone smokes
indoors, provide large and deep ashtrays. Make sure all
smoking materials are extinguished before leaving the
upholstered furniture after parties for ashes that could
be slowly smoldering and cause a fire later.
If you have a
portable electric space heater - keep the heater at least
three feet away from combustible/flammable items and turn
off the heater when family members leave the room or are
electrical appliances, such as hair dryers and curling
irons, unplugged when not in use.
If you use an
electrical blanket, make sure it is turned off when you
get out of bed.
If a fire
breaks out in a microwave oven, keep the door closed and
unplug the microwave. Don't try to remove burning
containers from the microwave.
lighted candles in windows or exits.
fireplaces and wood stoves
Have one or
more working fire extinguishers in your home.
escape route should a fire occur.
information on what to after your home has been damaged by
a fire, please call (309) 743-2166.
Back to top